Historic Homes of Brick and Stone in the Village
Merrickville’s history has left a remarkable legacy of classical stone, brick and wooden frame buildings The industry of early United Empire Loyalist settlers, and the building of the Rideau Canal which brought skilled Scottish stone masons to the area combined to create a virtual album of 19th architectural styles. From 1832 until late in the Century, the Rideau Canal became the principal trade route between Montreal and Canada West. Merrickville founded in 1793, became a principal beneficiary of the new Canal system’s commercial success and its industrialists built proud tributes to their achievements. In the latter quarter of the 19th century other transportation networks replaced the Canal as a preferred route and the Village’s prosperity faded. But not the impressive array of stone and Victorian brick houses which remain as reminders of past prosperity.
Click on any photo to see a larger version
Return to History Page
copyright © 2006 The Merrickvill and District Historical Society